Monday, March 23, 2015

Today’s session: 1st day of the workshop


·         We started the today’s session by introducing ourselves to each other. Mr. Peik the facilitator introduced himself first then the participants. Thereafter, the facilitator introduced the concepts on the investigative internet journalism where he defined the terms with some examples. He explained the main objective of investigative internet journalism was to use the internet in fact finding and developing journalism stories based on research so that it exposes to the public bad issues which people tend to hide such as corruption, crimes, etc. This was a lengthy discussion on how investigative internet journalism is done in the world. He also gave the differences between blogs, discussion forums and facebook.  He also gave us some links to various online resources that explain more about the topic, such as The News manual by Daniel, Vol. 1-24 and others. There were some contributions from the participants.

Later, Mr. Peik introduced us how to create a blog. I managed to create a blog with the title: Tagamasimu in which I posted my first text about myself and a short account about the workshop.
·         What I liked most was the fact that I did not know the difference between a blog, discussion forum such as Jamii Forum and facebook account. I liked how one can use a facebook to collect views, tips, information, etc.  which would help to conduct a deeper investigation and later come up with a factual analysis for publication so that people can read your story and know what is going on. I also enjoyed the creation of my own blog. This was also my new experience having the expertise of creating a blog. Finally, I liked the menu provided to all of us. It was both nutritious and delicious indeed.
·         Everything was very good, except the session began late but for justifiable reasons.
·         What I learnt today: The concepts of investigative internet journalism and how to create a blog

·         Concrete examples about research assignments, search tips: The class discussion helped me to know that facebook can be a very resourceful place to get story tips, information and data in order to conduct an investigative story through the internet although majority use it for entertainment, fancy  stories about celebrities, sex partners, friends, etc

No comments:

Post a Comment